I wasn’t happy with this. I’m including the original recipe in case making it as written turns out better for someone.
- 1 TBSP plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion (as always, I used prechopped fajita mix)
- 1 TBSP plus 2 tsp curry powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 cups cubed peeled eggplant
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (mine went bad, so I substituted 1 small zucchini, chopped)
- 2 and 2/3 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained (I just used a can full)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (omitted)
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (omitted)
I omitted the skillet steps and started at step 6 for independence, because of the 10-hour cooking time in the crock pot, but it would add depth.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers and onion.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in curry powder, garlic, and salt.
- Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Transfer to crock pot.
- Add eggplant, squash, chickpeas, broth, and wine.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce. Garnish with yogurt and parsley.
I doubt I’ll make this again, but if I do, I would have help with the skillet steps and follow the recipe exactly.